Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Day 21 - Just one of those days...

Even though I was super tired from yesterday, I got very little sleep and didn't sleep that well last night. Woke up with a lot of stuff on my mind, one of them being the presentation this afternoon. As I was quickly trying to get ready and trying to remember to pack things, I dropped one of my earrings (inside yelling "nooooooooo..."), and the pearl came off from the post. Now I have to wait until I get back to Vancouver in order to fix it. I didn't bring another pair of earrings with me, but thankfully, Luisa had extras that I can borrow for the rest of our trip.

This morning, we worked with some of the kids from the behavioural challenge class. Today was definitely a real challenge. There were about 5 kids in the same room at the same time. One of the kids I was working with made me somewhat frustrated as he did not follow any of the directions and would perseverate on certain words/phrases. It was driving me up the wall as I was trying to get him to do some of the activities to get the sensory input he needed so he would calm down and focus a bit.  Then I had a kid who would just lie on the ground, slowly move around, and almost getting stepped on by another kid a few times. It was just super chaotic. By noon, I was already exhausted, dehydrated, and just wanted to go home to de-stress and rest. It was nice, however, to see the kids responding to some of the activities that we were doing. We saw this one boy, S, who has low tone due to cerebral malaria. We had been working on lifting his head on a therapy ball and sitting upright. Even before we started doing any activities, he was sitting quite nicely and had his head up. Maybe we're doing something right?

We headed to SOS to do our presentations to the rehabilitation technicians and PTs that were invited. Luisa and I presented on sensory processing and fine motor skills.  We both think that the presentation went quite well and we tried to make it quite interactive for the audience. Kathy had her staff buy some snacks (mmm...samosa! muffin & scones) and soft drinks to be served during break time. Luisa and I had bittersweet feelings about the presentation. We're glad that it went well and that it's done now, with that being said however, us finishing the presentation means that our time in Malawi is slowly coming to an end. Neither of us really want to or are ready to return back to Canada. Glad we'll be having a week off to travel together, to process, and slowly reintegrate back to the western culture.

When we came home, we both decided that we needed to de-stress by having another jam session. We didn't really have one last week, so it was nice and fun to be able to do that again. It's always nice when you're able to sing songs that express how your feeling and what you're experiencing at that point in time. We also had some great laughs as well.

Side note. I kept getting hurt yesterday. A wooden tray dropped on my foot, hurting my fingers on wheelchairs, and then walked into the metal handle of the wheelchair break. I now have a nice purple bruise and bump from that, along with the scratches and mosquito bites that I already have. Oi!

Till I See You

The greatest love that anyone could ever know
That overcame the cross and grave to find my soul
And 'til I see You face to face
And grace amazing takes me home, I'll trust in You

With all I am I live to see Your kingdom come
And in my heart I pray you'd let Your will be done
And 'til I see You face to face
And grace amazing takes me home, I'll trust in You

I will live to love You
I will live to bring You praise
I will live a child in awe of You


You are the voice that called the universe to be
You are the whisper in my heart that speaks to me
And 'til I see You face to face
And grace amazing takes me home, I'll trust in You

You alone are God of all
You alone are worthy, Lord
And with all I am my soul will bless Your name

No comments:

Post a Comment