Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day 9 - Yearning for Love

Waking up multiple times throughout the night, not so fun. Although I am feeling better, definitely still not 100%. As I was making my lunch this morning, I had washed a bowl and I saw it slowly slip out of my hands. I reached out while it dropped on the ground in what seemed like slow motion, then I saw the pieces shatter everywhere, from one end of the kitchen to the other. You could say that my morning started off with a bang.

This morning at COBT, we took one of the students in the behavioural challenge class up to the upper house to try to complete a fine motor assessment with him. C would just look at you, look at his mother, look at the interpreter, but did not seem like he could follow verbal instructions or was interested in any of the toys even though his mother says that he can some of activities and tasks by himself at home. After trying many times to get him to complete the tasks, we simply moved on. During this time, there was one particular little girl, M, who waited at the door to go into the OT room, and would scream and throw tantrums when we tried to get her to leave the room. Initially, when we were opening the door and then closing it to not let her in, she grabbed my arm and bit me twice. I was so shocked as she was not like this a few days ago when we saw her. Luisa said that the screaming and tantrums happened yesterday too when she was trying to do a session with her. I wonder what has happened since the last time I saw her.
2 wet spots on sleeve = 2 bites on the arm.
Around noon, we were back at the rehabilitation centre and was waiting for Kathy. There were a few little boys who had the cutest laugh. They would follow us, and then when we turned around, they would begin to run away. So Luisa and I made this into a game that we played with them. We would hide around the corridor and then pop out to pretend to chase them, then they would scream and run away. We also tried to reach them through the window on the side of the building. It was so much fun and they were adorable.
Such adorable boys with the cutest laughs and screams!
Before we returned home today in the evening, Tracey took us to Villages of Hope, where she works because she had to drop off some stuff for the kids. VOH offers shelter and education to orphans and children at risk in nearby villages, and aims to bring hope through fostering a positive community environment. Tracey was telling us all that they were doing inside those four walls in hopes to make it sustainable. They've planted maize (corn), vegetables, fruit trees, etc. so they do not have to buy the produce as much and cutting down on the costs. As we walked towards the homes, we turned and walked towards this one house where the kids were eating dinner outside. They immediately ran up to us, even though we were complete strangers, and they gave us the biggest smiles and hugs. It was so heartwarming and genuine. Tracey was also telling us that these kids pretty much never leave the four walls and they have very, very few visitors. I can't imagine growing up within the compound walls. They yearn for your love, your affection, and your attention. I can't wait to go back and spend some more time with these cuties!

Song of the day: Hosanna

I see the king of glory
Coming on the clouds with fire
The whole earth shakes
The whole earth shakes

I see his love and mercy
Washing over all our sin
The people sing
The people sing

Hosanna
Hosanna
Hosanna in the highest


I see a generation
Rising up to take their place
With selfless faith
With selfless faith

I see a near revival
Stirring as we pray and seek
We're on our knees
We're on our knees

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity


Hosanna in the highest

Bonus: Found these at a store (like Walmart or Target). Look carefully, see if you can figure out what these are.
One more sleep, then off we go to Zambia on our Safari over Easter! Looking forward to seeing all the animals, especially the babies. I hope I can take some nice photos to share with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment